Nagaland anti-insurgency operation kills 14 civilians, sparks outrage in state
Incidents in Nagaland: An Indian Army investigation team will visit the site on December 29 in connection with the shooting death of 14 villagers by security forces in Otting, Nagaland. The team will visit the site on December 29 and be present at the Tijit police station in Som district on the same day, the news agency ANI quoted a defense ministry public relations officer as saying.
Earlier on Sunday, the military said that the investigation into the tragic and unfortunate death of a man in the December 4 shooting incident in Mon district of Nagaland was progressing rapidly and all efforts were being made to complete the investigation as soon as possible. The army has also assured that steps will be taken in accordance with the law to ensure justice for all. The army has called on the people of the state to be patient and wait for the outcome of the army’s investigation.
Find out what controversial BJP MP Tejaswi Surya made about Muslims and Christians that he had to withdraw.
Fourteen civilians were killed during anti-insurgency operations in Nagaland, sparking outrage in the state and demands for the repeal of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act. Following the incident, the army ordered a Court of Inquiry headed by a major general stationed in the Northeast.
The Indian Army wishes the people of Nagaland a Happy New Year and we pray for the health, peace, happiness and prosperity of the people, ”the Army said in a statement. We are once again deeply saddened by the loss of life in the Som district incident on 4th December. The loss of life is truly tragic and unfortunate. The statement said that the Army-directed investigation is progressing fast and every effort is being made to complete it as soon as possible.
Covid-19 Vaccine: Children 15 to 17 years old will be able to register on the CoWIN app with their school ID from 1 January.
Meanwhile, Nagaland Chief Minister Nephew Rio on Sunday said that the Center has decided to form a five-member committee to examine the repeal of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 (AFSPA) from the state. The decision was taken during a meeting chaired by Union Home Minister Amit Shah in New Delhi on December 23 to discuss the current situation in Nagaland.
The chief minister said the committee would be headed by Additional Secretary (North East) of the Home Ministry. In addition to the Chief Secretary of Nagaland and the Director General of Police, it will include the Inspector General of Assam Rifles (North) and a representative of the CRPF. In a joint statement issued by Rio, Deputy Chief Minister Y Patten and Naga People’s Front Legislature Party leader TR Zheliang said the committee would make its recommendations within 45 days, on the basis of which Nagaland’s AFSPA should be continued or withdrawn. The decision will be made.